Sunday, December 23, 2007

Don't have time to listen to all 36 streamed entries over at Asthmatic Kitty like you're a teacher enjoying a Christmas vacation with all of his shopping finished already? Don't worry, I've done all the work for you. Here are the highlights you should be sure to check out...

(Go to AK website, click on AKRadio at the top of the page.)

There are three I keep coming back to:
Oh The Sun's "A New Empire is Underway..." strikes a major chord with me. All at once beautiful and quirky, awkward and charming, it made my jaw drop the first time I heard it, and then I giggled with excitement and wanted to jump around the house with joy.

I had a similar reaction to Yoyoyo Acapulco's song in a foreign tongue. Of course, the ukulele, accordion, and backup kids are surefire ways to get my attention. And his voice sounds very familiar to a French artist Erica and I discovered over the summer.

La Strada's "Noel (A Love Song)" is close to being a masterpiece. Maybe they just make me feel good because I think they might be the only ones who spent more time making their song than I did. It sounds like they've got a full orchestra in their livingroom. It's wonderful. I'm sure the odd time signatures were hard for Sufjan to ignore. He had to resist this one pretty hard. A valiant effort, indeed.

And the others that catch my attention are:
-Castledoor's "Leave it on the Sleigh" is a really great pop tune.
-The Choir at Your Door is pretty.
-Candy Claws' "Snowdrift Wish" intrigues.
-The Palace Flophouse's "Emily" works only because it's so short.
-Left with Pictures' "Where were you this Christmas?" is hip, jazzy, sassy, and loveable.
-Karli Fairbanks has a nice voice and her song has a nice beat.
-Cocoon is pretty catchy.
-Nathan Phillips has some nice subtle fretwork going on. Pretty without trying too hard.

Joel Rakes, on the other hand, thought John Mayer was running this contest. When he found out it was actually Sufjan, he thought he could still enter by adding a banjo in the background. The title to his song was the first clue. As much as I don't prefer it, it really could be a smash hit on college radio right away. Now, High, Meek & Mighty is in a similar category, but it's pulled off much more nicely, leaning more towards a Richard Swift b-side.

Mark's favorite entry, of course, is Band LeGrand's "Merry Merry Christmas." I'd be impressed if it wasn't done completely in midi. It's a nice fun song, but there isn't one real sounding instrument there!

So, when you're wrapping presents tomorrow, pull your laptop up close and stream these songs. It's interesting and laughable to notice how many people tried to win Sufjan over by using a banjo in their songs. And the whole thing, as Sufjan himself writes, is indeed a fascinating sociological project.

Much praise to AK for their continual creativity and gusto, particularly this time of year.

No comments: