I'm joining the masses in declaring that Juno was absolutely wonderful.
Jeffrey Overstreet was worried that Christians would exploit it as a pro-life movie, rather than seeing it for the wonderful movie it was. But after seeing it, I think it's a little too far above their heads to be used in that way. Sure, it's a nice peripheral theme that can be discussed, but there are too many other things going on, I think, for it to be boiled down that much, even as hard as some Christians might try.
I, on the other hand, am worried Juno is getting labeled as a teen comedy. I assume because of Michael Cera's earlier performance in Superbad, high schools across the nation are thinking Juno is the next hilarious movie filled with penis jokes. Maybe it's the similarity in plot to Superbad's relative Knocked Up that drew them out on opening night.
Whatever the case, I was extremely surprised to be sitting in a sold out theater where the mean age was probably no higher than 20. Rarely do Erica and I feel like the OLD ones in the theater. Surely these kids are not seeing Juno because they've heard great things about the screenplay, or because they're simply huge fans of Arrested Development, or they've seen Jason Reitman's previous work and have found him to create very intelligent comedies.
I'm wondering what their reactions were. If you were looking for a teen comedy, there was very little satisfaction to be found. A lot of this, I'm guessing, went over their heads. I'm not saying they couldn't enjoy it, I'm sure they did. But I don't think the majority of them could appreciate it.
Am I sounding pretentious? Maybe.
All I'm saying is, if you were planning to pass Juno by because it's just another teen comedy: don't. It's not a teen comedy.
The screenplay is brilliant. The characters are wonderful. The soundtrack is charming. The story is heartfelt. The humor is intelligent. It's a good movie.
It felt like Little Miss Sunshine without being contrived. It felt like Junebug without the quirk. It felt like Knocked Up without the raunch.
It felt like perfection!
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just saw it and loved it. It's so great.
Post a Comment