Mr. Shorb was cranky yesterday and everyone knew it. I even made four boys stay in for recess after they ran out of the lunchroom like maniacs. They had it coming.
Today was much better though, and I felt like there were many moments beautiful, funny, disheartening, and thought-provoking.
During science, a boy kept asking when they were getting their project grades back. I kept telling him I'd get them out before the end of the day. He kept asking. Finally I said, "I'm sorry, am I not speaking clearly? Am I speaking English?" The kids surrounding the boy smiled, agreeing that I had already answered the question.
I said slowly (and I promise not all of this was as harshly sarcastic as it sounds here--it was all smiles and laughs), "You'll get them back before the end of the day."
I turned to the little French boy and said, "Can you translate in French for your friend? He's not understanding English."
He faithfully said something to the effect of, "Vous les récupérerez vers la fin du jour."
I turned to the little Taiwanese girl and said, "Can you translate in Chinese for your friend?"
She turned with a big grin and said something to the effect of, "您让他们回到到这天末。"
I turned to the little Indian boy and said, "Can you translate into Hindi for your friend?"
He turned and said, "आप दिन के अंत तक उन्हें वापस मिल जाएगा."
Finally, the boy said, "Oh! The end of the day? Got it, Mr. Shorb."
Hearing all those languages spoken with ease in my room? That was one of the beautiful moments.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment