Friday, January 23, 2009

Searching for the Existence of God in the Fifth Grade, part 2 of 3

Several days later, we came back 15 minutes early from yet another chapel service that was focused on serving others. I decided to take advantage of it.

I pointed out that it has been the theme repeatedly at chapel, but the kids aren’t hearing it only there. Even their new president has been talking about it, with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day being declared as a day of service, and even a new website launched to facilitate opportunities all year round.

But why? I pressed them for an answer. Why is it important? What should we serve others?

Silence. The first few answers were stammers, digging, trying, and ending up with things like, “It just is. You just should.”

Finally a boy came out with an honest answer that many would accept, “It gives you a feeling of accomplishment!” He’s right on -- the classic motivation behind upper class philanthropy. We serve others for our own sake, to feel better about ourselves!

“Why else?”

Eventually, the closest we got was something along the lines of “People need help, so we should help them.”

I’m not even sure what sort of answer I was looking for, really. But as they stammered for answers, I couldn’t help but notice that these are completely unchurched kids. Some of them have gone to chapel once a week for five years straight, but they have no idea why. Lots of people in Christian circles have been talking about our country being in a “Post-Christian Era.” I’ve heard those conversations a lot, but what I’m experiencing this year is giving me some practical, concrete experience in the notion.

And so, without a God, why is serving others important?

People need help, so we should help them. OK, sure, but do we have to? Or is it just a suggestion?

I’m afraid that without a God, or at least without knowing about one, the best we can do is that it makes our world a more pleasant place for everyone to live in, or because we treat others how we’d like to be treated, and we wouldn’t mind be served every once in a while.

I just don’t feel like these are very compelling reasons. Let someone else do it, and take care of yourself. If I were even wealthier than I already am and didn’t know about the love God has lavished on us, I’m pretty sure I’d stay holed up in the comfort of my cul-de-sac, too.

But there was a deeper question I wanted to tackle with these kids. They agreed that serving others was important, even though there wasn’t much substance to that conclusion. But then one girl -- whose family regularly volunteers at soup kitchens, I’m told -- brought up the point that serving others is important, but “people don’t always do it.”

Yes! That leads to Mr. Shorb’s next question: “Why are we praying about serving others?" Or really just, "Why do we pray?”

No comments: