Thursday, January 22, 2009

Searching for the Existence of God in the Fifth Grade, part 1 of 3

As I reflected on this discussion, I began to realize just how much sway and influence I have over this group of 10 and 11 year olds. Depending who you'd ask, that could be good or bad. I guess my hope is that any discussion I have is one of respecting 10 and 11 year olds enough to let them think for themselves and make their own decisions, rather than intimidating or indoctrinating.

It started with grumbles. There's been a lot of that this year. Mostly grumbles about our weekly chapel service, the boring speakers, the boring readings, the boring prayers, the boring hymns. That was the first red flag that concerned me. When at one point I threw out a suggestion of journaling about a chapel message, I came against some strong opposition, partly because of the journaling, and partly because of the chapel message.

The kids have been hearing a lot about serving other people this year, and when the principal started 2009 by reminding us to think of others, I decided to make the next quote in the Mr. Shorb's Quotes series a piece of our school prayer that is prayed every week in chapel.

"...Help us to cast out all that is false or unclean. Give us a true desire to serve one another..."

When I pulled this one out, boy did I hear the groans. "We know this one! We say it every week!" They quickly acknowledged and admitted, though, that I was most likely calling their attention to it because they say it every week and don't actually think about it.

I asked what it was saying, and they explained that one pretty quickly. I asked why it was important, and I got snide remarks like, "Because you say it is." I asked why we say it and they said, "To fill time."

Yikes.

I pushed and asked some more and got nothing but blank stares or people avoiding eye contact and squirming in their seats. They were resisting so much that I ended up feeling half heart-broken and half fed-up, so I tabled the conversation for another day, knowing I'd have to think it through and prepare a bit more for this one.

But really, how discouraging! Here is part of a class that collected over $2,000 for UNICEF and organized a coat drive that brought in over 200 coats, and when I asked them why it's important to serve one another, they have nothing to say.

What does that say about our service?!

No comments: