Saturday, December 08, 2007

I have an uncanny knack for picking the wrong film to watch when going to the movies alone.

Erica was away at school today, and I decided to see a matinee by myself. I chose No Country For Old Men. I'm not sure what I'll need to do to detox from that one, but it's going to take a while.

I talked to Erica briefly about it, and told her how dark and depressing it was. She remembered me saying the same thing when I saw a movie alone a couple years back. It took us a while to remember which it was, but then it clicked...

Million Dollar Baby.

Yikes.

5 comments:

Chalupa said...

So you hated it? Do I just like dark movies too much?

nateshorb said...

I didn't hate it. I could appreciate it for the amazingly well done movie that it was. But I think it was probably the darkest movie I have ever watched. Simply too dark for my tastes.

jamin said...

BUT IT'S SO GOOD!

Chalupa said...

you probably should never watch IRREVERSIBLE then. ask neville about it. he says the title in such a sinister voice. i love it.

nateshorb said...

agreed. it is so good.

acting, of course, was great.

while i wouldn't have walked out of the theater saying "that dialogue was amazing" all on my own, since you pointed it out ahead of time, jamin, i was able to realize it was indeed brilliant.

the cinematography was so good. so good. the subtle emphasis on air vents and locks and coins and whathaveyou was wonderful.

and my heart has never beat so rapidly while watching a movie. certain standoffs that will go unmentioned here were absolutely incredible.

but it was just too dark for me.