Monday, December 10, 2007

The latest installment in Mr. Shorb's series of quotes was given today, taken from G.K. Chesterton in his introduction of Orthodoxy.

"Even a bad shot is dignified when he accepts a duel."

I let the kids interpret it and write a short reflection. They seemed to like this one a lot better than Franz Wright, and admittedly, it is a nice counterpart to that poem. They balance each other out nicely.

One girl wrote, "This is a very good quote, and I am glad to know it. G.K. Chesterton was a very clever guy."

Yes!

Besides that, the students are responsible for memorizing the lyrics to Once in Royal David's City, mostly in preparation for the upcoming Christmas concert. I had them singing along with Sufjan Steven's version this morning, and half of the them were dancing around the room.

I'll have these kids brainwashed in no time! They already enjoy working quietly with Six Parts Seven playing in the background. Next I'll show them Winged Migration and Microcosmos! Then I'll have them write screenplays to accompany songs by Explosions in the Sky! By the end of the year, I'll introduce them to Icelandic instrumental ensembles, musical saws, and theremins! Slowly but surely!

3 comments:

jamin said...

This sounds like the best class ever.

Chalupa said...

theremins? that might be pushing it.

nateshorb said...

i have to admit, it was a pretty wonderful moment when we were all singing along with sufjan and dancing around the room.